Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Catching Up


Saturday was full of swim meet. I managed to make it there with Lola and Leif in time to see the boys’ first events.

Levi started swimming shortly after Lola was born. I’ve been juggling a baby/toddler and one or two non-swimming boys at swim meets for a few years. Not fun. But just this past weekend, I noticed that things are getting just a bit easier. Luke is now swimming. All three of the boys need less parental oversight. And Lola is much easier now than she was a year ago. I don’t have to hold onto her every second that we are there (while she is actively pushing away and unhappy about being confined). It should get easier from here on out. I also have to say that my husband works like a crazy person at swim meets. He takes the boys early. Helps set up. Coaches. Competes. Performs the swim-parent role (I am rarely at a meet from beginning to end).

The boys headed out for the swim meet on Sunday morning. I was scheduled to work in the nursery at church, but both Lola and I had been up coughing and sick that night and it wasn’t a great idea for us to be around other little people. We stayed home to be sick together. I spend the whole afternoon running errands and working through my long pre-Monday to-do list. And got to bed later than I had hoped.

Monday. All things considered, it went better than last week. I was up early, showered immediately, and had quiet time. Because I had a rough time last week managing a productive Monday morning and giving grace to my children, I filled out my SPS, did one administrative task that was up against a deadline, and then went straight to getting ready for our morning at CC. That worked much better.

We spent all day at with our CC community. Foundations at 9am (I helped in Leif’s class all morning). Lunch and social time at noon. My mom came to pick up Lola for the afternoon. Essentials class with Levi and Luke from 1-3 (Leif played with kids in the gym). We helped clean up a bit, and then Russ switched me vehicles and took the boys to Eugene to pick up a bow he had ordered at Cabela’s.

The boys were gone for the rest of the evening (they went straight to archery class). I picked up Lola and had a chance to spend some wonderful quality time with my mom and sister.

I arrived home shortly after 5pm and was in pajamas by 5:40. Between this awful cold, caffeine and carb withdrawal headache (serious stuff, that), cramps, and a day of social interaction, I was DONE. I lay down on the couch and didn’t move. I barely managed bedtime for Lola, directed bedtime (ineffectively) for the boys from my spot on the couch, and then fell asleep. I dragged myself to bed around 10 and slept like the dead. I certainly didn’t set myself up for success in the morning, because the house looked like a bomb had gone off…

Speaking of caffeine and carb withdrawal… Day 1 of 40: DONE. Eggs and sausage for breakfast. Tea all day (apparently not enough caffeine, however). A small amount of sweet potato chips and sweet pea crisps for snack. Mixed greens with chicken, salsa, and guacamole, a few carrot sticks, and a few bites of apple for lunch. La Croix soda in the late afternoon. I was feeling nauseated and sick in the evening and the boys weren’t home, so I just had a banana with almond butter for dinner.

Psalm 61
For the director of music. With stringed instruments. Of David.

1 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.

2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
5 For you, God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.

6 Increase the days of the king’s life,
his years for many generations.
7 May he be enthroned in God’s presence forever;
appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.

8 Then I will ever sing in praise of your name
and fulfill my vows day after day.


Kellie said...

Hang in there! I used to be a swim team mom (minus the toddler though, so my hat's off to you) and I was always exhausted by the end of a meet. So then to top that off with a full day on Monday, no wonder you were done!

I think I must be drinking your caffeine for you. I've never been a big coffee drinker (can't even make it very well), but I've made it every day for the last six days. I think I need to go read some very bad things about coffee before this becomes a permanent part of my morning routine. : )

Heidi said...

Kellie~ I think coffee is good for you. :) I actually wish I liked it! It's the soda I usually drink that is terrible for me. And the tea I am replacing it with doesn't have as much caffeine--therefore the withdrawal headache. Ugh.

Allison said...

Oh man, I hear you with the swim meet stuff. Last year at the HUGELY populated state championships, my youngest (age 4 then) managed to wander off on our way to the team tent. I turned around, and he was GONE! I panicked and started running around the area looking for him like a crazy woman. About 5 minutes later, I hear the guy over the loud speaker say, "We have a little boy here who appears to be lost but isn't telling us much..."

Yep. Mother of the Year here.